On 20/08/2010 15:02, Sean McEligot wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the logic behind redeploying a war. From
> examining HostConfig.java, it looks like:
>
> 1. remembered date of the war file is compared to the current date of
> the war file and the application is redeployed if the current date is
> newer.
> 2. The remembered date of the expanded war is compared to the current
> date of that directory and the application is reloaded if the current
> directory date is newer.
>
> So if I deploy while the server is down, it never will be noticed by
> tomcat? This is not what I would have expected.
>
> What I would expect to happen is tomcat to compare the war file date
> to the expanded directory date and redeploy if the war file is newer.

I have some recollection of trying to avoid a situation where the WAR
file ended up having a newer time-stamp than the expanded directory that
resulted in constant redeployment.

Assuming that:
a) the above scenario was an error condition (e.g. WAR with future
date-stamp)
b) the expanded directory always gets the current time-stamp

then Tomcat 7 could certainly be changed to have the behaviour you expect.

For b), need to check:
1. How the expansion currently occurs?
2. Is there any opportunity for an older time-stamp being used?

Mark