Hi

> You're right, it doesn't, at least on Windows.

Just verified that:

r...@www:/opt/java/jdk1.6.0_21# ./bin/java -server -version
java version "1.6.0_21"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0-b16, mixed mode)

r...@www:/opt/java/jdk1.6.0_21# ./bin/java -client -version
java version "1.6.0_21"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0-b16, mixed mode)

So, there really is no client vm.

> There is a -XX option to limit or disable SSE usage:
>
> -XX:UseSSE=n

Thanks, great tip. Hard to find more infomation on the web though. Even sun
does not list that option.
However -XX:UseSSE=3 seems to have solved it. At least I could restart
tomcat 32 times without exception.
Without that switch I did not get above 5 times today.

Allow me a side question: A long time ago, I decided to use the following
options for tomcat:
-server // even no other choice
-Xmx1024m // differs per machine
-Xincgc
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
-XX:UseSSE=3 // that's new...

So what about that gc choice? Is it sane for tomcat? I read a bit about the
new G1 collector? Is it better?
Is there any recommendation for tomcat?

And once again: Thanks a lot, you solved my original problem! Owe you one.

Regards,
  Steffen