Ah, now I see what you mean. So the reason the exception isn't being thrown when I increase the threshold value is that the image isn't being written to disk in the first place. That makes more sense. But the odd part of it (in my configuration, at least) is that the file permissions do allow fileupload to write the file...so, I guess I still don't understand what's causing the exception.