On 9/1/2010 3:35 PM, Wesley Acheson wrote:
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Marc Chamberlin
<m...@marcchamberlin.com>  wrote:
  On 9/1/2010 1:46 PM, Wesley Acheson wrote:
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Marc Chamberlin
<m...@marcchamberlin.com>    wrote:
Have you tried modifying this section?

     <filter-mapping>
         <filter-name>ssi</filter-name>
         <url-pattern>*.shtml</url-pattern>
     </filter-mapping>

To look more like this

     <filter-mapping>
         <filter-name>ssi</filter-name>
         <url-pattern>*</url-pattern>
     </filter-mapping>
Thanks Wesley for taking the time to answer, much appreciated!  Yes, I have
tried this filter mapping / url-pattern with no joy.  Also have tried a
url-pattern of *.html and no joy either....
Also change the section
         <init-param>
           <param-name>contentType</param-name>
           <param-value>text/x-server-parsed-html(;.*)?</param-value>
         </init-param>

The param-value must be a regular expression that will meet the
following mime types
text/x-server-parsed-html or text/html. My regular expressions aren't
great so I'll leave that for an exercise.
Hi Marc,

Okay the suggestion was to do these two changes in conjunction with
one another as I understand it the mapping says what URLS this is
applied on and the init-param says what the mime type has to be.

To test simply, just to see if we are on the right track try chaning
the filter-mapping as above, but change

          <init-param>
            <param-name>contentType</param-name>
            <param-value>text/x-server-parsed-html(;.*)?</param-value>
          </init-param>

          <init-param>
            <param-name>contentType</param-name>
            <param-value>text/html(;.*)?</param-value>
          </init-param>

And test it on a html page. If I'm right it will work but shtml won't.
  Really need a regularexpression writer.
Thanks Wesley!!! That did the trick, and yes, shtml does not work... But this should be ok for our needs, our users don't create .shtml files, and this also worked for .jsp and .htm files as well as .html... Documentation on the Tomcat site should be updated to discuss this, IMHO... And it might be an interesting exercise to figure out how to make this work for all files if one is looking for exercises... ;-)