>From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
>Subject: Re: WEB-INF

>Leo,
>
>I'll chime in. :)
>
>On 9/10/2010 10:13 AM, Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX wrote:
>> I've read that you can secure direct access to a JSP by placing it in
>> the WEB-INF directory.  I know you can also secure direct access to a
>> JSP by creating a security constraint using URL patterns and
>> assigning role names that do not exist.
>>
>> I've also "heard" that when you secure a URL using a security
>> constraint, that you are not securing the "resource".
>
>That depends on what you think the "resource" is. If it's a file on a
>disk, than it is only "secure" if you secure all ways to retrieve it. If
>you have multiple URLs that reference the same file on a disk, then yes,
>you can "secure" one URL and not another and therefore your file is not
>entirely "secure".
>
>Chuck doesn't come right out and say this, but I believe he's hinting at
>the fact that files on a disk are largely irrelevant: they are an
>implementation detail where HTTP is concerned: the URL is a request for
>a resource. Securing that URL is securing the resource. The fact that
>multiple resources might result in the same response (from the same file
>on the disk) is just a coincidence.
>
>- -chris

The "heard" part I mentioned in my original post, was actually a comment from
another forum.

The comment: "The URL mapping, as its name implies, works on submitted URLs and
doesn't protect resources"

The comment was in reference to using a URL pattern in a security constraint,
and I didn't understand the use of that phrase "...works on submitted URLs and
doesn't protect resources".

The Tomcat list cleared this up, thanks everyone.

Leo