From: Gabriele Bulfon <gbul...@sonicle.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Mon, September 13, 2010 2:55:09 AM
Subject: To JAAS or not to JAAS

Hello,
I have a web application written with JAAS authentication, using my own login
modules.
This is fine as long as the deployment is made by a system administrator who
knows how to
configure jaas.config and to place needed jars in the tomcat lib directory,
following my instructions.
Also, JAAS mode requires the sysadmin to prepare the backend db himself with a
sql file of mine,
and configure the context.xml with db informations.

Now, I would like the same web app to be deployable in 2 ways, both with JAAS
and without JAAS,
to simplify deployment by less experienced deployer who will just put the war
file inside webapp
and access the application.
During the first access I would like the application to understand that is not
working in JAAS mode,
check for a properties file inside the webapp, that when not existsant will
trigger an installation sequence

via web (to configure db access and so on). This will create this properties
file that will be the reference
configuration, substituting the context.xml / jaas config.

My simple idea would be to have this war without the context.xml definitions,
then have an init parameter of the application in web.xml to define "Use Jaas"
=

"Yes/No" that will let the webapp understand and do what I described.

My question is: do I have a cleaner way to do this? Maybe I have some way to
understand that my webapp is under JAAS control or not during application
startup?

Thanks for any help,
Gabriele.