The way I've implemented this it does all the normal work of adding
the host to the container before trying to persist the file.

Now there are a lot of things that can go wrong when trying to write
to a filesystem. Maybe the user doesn't have permission to update the
file. Maybe the existing file is unparseable for some reason (that one
shouldn't really happen). Maybe the security manager stops the user
updating the file. etc. etc.

So my question is what should be seen in the host manager in
everyone's opinion if the file system changes aren't persisted?

Some possibilities below:

Should it still show success as its been added to the container.?
Should the addition to the container be undone (rollback)?
Should it show an error? Or two messages 1 for the container 1 for the file?
If error messages are shown how much information should be shown to
the client, a full stack trace, an informative message such as "update
server.xml:FAIL blocked by security manager"

Please feel free to pitch in anyone.