Hello,
I have a stateless webservice that I am running with Tomcat 6.0. The
product owners want to start tracking user sessions to the webservice
(how many request per session, etc.). Since its been stateless up to
this point, I am not using the HttpSession object at all. Is there any
way I can add a session id automatically just by changing the Tomcat
configuration?

If I can't do it via config, I assume I can do if via code simply by calling:

httpRequest.getSession(true);

with each request. All I really care about is the session ID so we can
log and group requests. I am not going to store any objects in the
session. What kind of overhead is there to doing this? I know it
defeats the purpose of being stateless. But if I don't put anything in
the session will it have a relatively low impact?

Thanks!
Jeff