> From: arnaud icard [mailto:arnaud.ic...@univ-avignon.fr]
> Subject: Re: Error 404 when redirected

> > Second, you should not be placing <Context> elements in server.xml.
> This is not completly true

Note that I said "should not" rather than "must not".  You can place <Context>
elements in server.xml, but it is not best practice, and is strongly
discouraged.  Don't do it.

> > Third, each <Host> should have a unique appBase directory.
> This is already the case, isn't it?

Not really, since docBase == appBase in your original config.  Your original
configuration was ambiguous.

> Most of these applications are deployed using ant deploy.

Not relevant.

> Thus I cannot place context file in the application/ROOT/META-INF

Of course you can.  However, as I stated earlier, you don't actually need any
<Context> elements in the examples you gave.

> So I now have the following server.xml :
>   <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" crossContext="false">

Just remove the <Context> elements like the above - they're unnecessary.

>    <Context path="" docBase="uportal" crossContext="false">

Remove that one as well, and change the uportal directory name to ROOT.

>    <Context path="/ResourceServingWebapp" docBase="ResourceServingWebapp"
>crossContext="false">

That <Context> element is also not necessary - remove it.

> The file layout for uportal is (yes 2 times uportal):
> /var/www/uportal/
>     uportal/

Change the above to ROOT/.

>     ResourceServingWebapp/

That one is fine.

> I don't get why I had to specify ROOT in the docBase argument.

You shouldn't have a docBase argument, because you don't need any <Context>
elements at all.

> Is it not the value by default ?

No; there is no default for docBase, since it should be used only when a
<Context> element is in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml, and the associated
webapp is located outside of the <Host>'s appBase directory.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.