Vijay,

On 10/13/2010 7:35 PM, Vijay Menon wrote:
> We're scaling to satisfactory loads of 250 concurrent
> requests serving pages in 0.5 seconds.

Excellent (assuming that 0.5 seconds is acceptable to your team).

> The other test scenario is where the tomcat instance is kept idle
> and a single request is sent in every 90 or so seconds. In this case,
> the response takes about 8 seconds out of which about 6 seconds
> cannot be tracked. As the result, what we're finding is that under
> high loads, it performs well but under very low loads, it does not.

:(

> This definitely happens in the
> tomcat layer as we've used the FastCommonAccessLogValve logger which
> gives the time for the request in Tomcat.

I'd like to echo Chuck's suggestion: take Apache httpd out of the
equation and run your "load" test against Tomcat directly.

> The connector properties
> are protocol="AJP/1.3" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
> maxSpareThreads="75" acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
> disableUploadTimeout="true" useBodyEncodingForURI="true".

If you want your server to be as efficient as possible, you should use
an <Executor> which will allow the request processing threads to be
destroyed during times of low activity. It's not really that big of a
deal, but it's worth mentioning.

A couple more questions:

1. How large are the requests you are processing? Is the usage profile
the same for "high load" versus "low load" situations -- other than the
actual frequency of requests, of course.

2. Are you using a database of any kind? If so, can you post the
configuration for that (minus any sensitive information, of course)?

90 seconds would be a very low timeout for a database connection, but
it's possible that you have a bottleneck in your application that
somehow only appears when you're nearly idle.

3. Is some other process running on the server during these low-load
times? Maybe some cron job or heavy reporting operation or something?