What I have SEEN (which means there are probably things you've seen that I
haven't) is:

1) JSVC terminates.  I scripted around this by having a cron job run every two
minutes, doing something like:

PIDLIST=`ps -h -o pid -C jsvc`
if [ -z "$PIDLIST"]; then
// re-start tomcat
fi

2) The JVM terminates and jsvc re-starts itself. The problem for me is that I
dynamically add/remove virtual hosts. I'm in the middle of re-working things so
that a file gets included by server.xml and that file is kept up to date. I'm
fighting this right now. The JVM crashes in the hotspot compiler when it tries
to request 2GB of memory... I've turned it in as a bug but haven't heard
anything. This particular thing started with JDK 1.6.0_21. I suppose I could go
back, but the garbage collector seems to be MUCH better in 1.6.0_21 so I live
with it.

3) The JVM just hangs on OOME. This could probably be caught by using a cron
job with wget and if a timeout happens kill the JSVC application and then
re-start it.

> In these cases, a Tomcat bounce might be the best action to take.
>
> - -chris

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585