Leon Rosenberg wrote:
Pid, Andre
thanx.
I will try both approaches.
I will try the MX Bean first, this just seems to be more elegant ;)

Typical Java thinking..
Sure, let's pull in another 15 classes..
Gotta use those GB of RAM for something..
Why do simple when complicated would do just as well, he ?
:-)

While you're at it, here is another variation of the original scheme, much more to my own liking :
String[] cmd = { "/usr/bin/perl", "-e", "print getppid(),\"\\n\";" };
p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);

Same defect as yours though, damn.

Or (from the same jguru post) :

String[] cmd = { "/bin/sh", "-c", "/bin/ps -f | /bin/awk '{print $2,$3}' | /bin/grep \"^$$\" | /bin/awk '{print $2}'" };
p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);

Now that one is not really elegant, but kind of .. macho ! 5 processes in a row, with pipes. Woaw.

To get serious again, it /is/ funny that Java does not provide this simple
function.
And somehow I have a feeling that there may be a catch somewhere when dealing with threads under various platforms.
I prefer Konstantin's first suggestion.
Now the question is : if Tomcat writes it's PID to that file, where does Tomcat
get it from ?

thank you
Leon