Hi

We have a web application which usually runs on a certain host all alone -
it is the only context for that host.
However, it allows to use different hostnames and therefore we use aliases
in our server.xml per host.

Now more and more users of those application want to use more subdomains and
we have lots of trouble keeping the server.xml updates with all those
hostnames.

It would be a huge advantage to be able to tell tomcat to use all subdomains
of a given domain in one step.
Such as
<Alias>*.domain.tdl</Alias>

Or
<Alias catchAll="true">domain.tld</Alias>

So here are my questions:

1) Can this somehow be archived using tomcat 6? (We are currently running
6.0.29.)
2) Can the somehow be archived using tomcat 7?

(As I believe (and fear) the answer to the first two questions are "no", two
more:)
3) Would it be difficult to add this feature?
4) Where would I start to work on if I tried to create a patch for tomcat
myself?
5) Would there be any chances to get that patch later-on included into
trunk?

Regards,
  Steffen