The local process option seems to be a hit and miss on various versions of
windows, it was not working. Also the local process option only works if
jconsole is running the same userid as process you want to connect to, which
is not the case in my tomcat setup which is running as a service.

I tested my setup on my Vista 64 bit laptop an it worked which narrowed the
problem down to something about Windows Server 2008 R2.

A bit more googling led me this problem repot
http://tai-dev.blog.co.uk/2010/03/26/glassfish-jmx-and-windows-web-server-2008-can-play-together-with-a-few-tweaks-here-s-how-plus-bonus-jconsole-config-info-8251001/

and the fix was to add -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=127.0.0.1 to my command
line options for the service. I have no idea why this setting fixes the
problem but it does.

Has anyone found any good documentation on how JVM instrumentation works and
why it is so troublesome to connect to an instrumented hotspot vm.