On 23/12/2010 09:20, André Warnier wrote:
> Shortly :
> If you are local, then you can use the "Local process" option in jconsole.

But usually not if you're using the service wrapper, which masks* the
JVM process from the Attach API used in Java 6 to provide the local
processes.

* for want of a better description

> Otherwise : as far as I remember, the jmx connection really uses 2
> ports, not only the one you obviously connect to. And that second port
> is random, which is what makes it difficult to connect through a
> firewall or so.

You can download the catalina-jmx-remote.jar from the Tomcat website to
pin JMX to two known port numbers, using a LifecycleListener.