2011/1/8 Tim Space <qwertypo...@hotmail.com>:

> Another problem with this logging situation is that my webapp takes more than
> two minutes to load after startup.

That is expected. Logging inside Digester takes a lot of time.

> org.apache.jasper=SEVERE
> org.apache.tomcat.util.file.Matcher=SEVERE
> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester=SEVERE

The names are wrong. You missed the ".level" suffix.
The above should have been

org.apache.jasper.level=SEVERE

etc.

> As Konstantin suggested I looked at the catalina.policy file also.  I notice
> the java logging.properties file is also mentioned there, but as I showed in
> my last e-mail, I have changed the settings in that file also.

Note, that the default log level for every logging category is set by
the following line:

.level= INFO

It should be "INFO" by default and that is set in JRE's
lib/logging.properties.  Note, that it is ".level", starting with a
"." (a dot).  Effectively it is "" (empty string) plus ".level"
suffix.

Please check, that your JRE's logging.properties file is not modified.
(Revert it back to the defaults, if you modified it).

You can explicitly add ".level= INFO" line into your
$CATALINA_BASE\conf\logging.properties

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko