Ah, room for improvement in javac then.

> > by the default run-time catch is to ignore and return.
>
> Again, the C _standard_ requires that overflow be ignored at runtime,
> so on most hardware, no exception occurs.

My hardware internals knowledge is just as rusty as my coding skills, but
doesn't the hardware catch the overflow and raise the exception anyway?  It's
just a matter of have the exception-handling code in place, right?

(Life is so much nicer when you're only running machines instead of coding for
them.  Much less detail to remember.)
Jeff

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to
the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your
system.