From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:45 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: cannot access welcome page on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Philip Anil-QBW348 wrote:
> I tried to uninstall IIS
> (http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-iis-12/how-to-uninstall-iis-38783.h
> tml), .Net 2 framework etc. but strangely enough, it remained.
> So I did Start|Run|inetmgr and lo and behold, found "Default Web Page"
> camped out on port 80. I deleted it, and the Tomcat welcome page comes
> up just fine! :)

It's nice that you solved your main problem, but what you write above does not
make much
technical sense.
A "default web page" does not "camp on" any particular port.
And deleting a web page does not stop a webserver from running.
Maybe it is MS's brain-dead way of presenting things that gets you confused.

The underlying fact is : two separate processes cannot open the same listening
port on the
same host.  When one process opens that listening port (80 in this case), any
other
process that tries to open the same one will fail.
If Tomcat is now running fine and listening on port 80, it means that whatever
you did
above, was really stop IIS from running and opening port 80 first.