James Godrej wrote:

I repeat :

Are you sure that when you are *the same user as the one under which Tomcat
normally runs*, you can find that "java", by walking each component of the
above path one after the other ?
Like :
su - tomcat55
cd /usr
cd lib
cd jvm
.. and so on
I have not changed on my server every thing was happening as root only.
Last week I have done a system update which went on smoothly without any error.

Under Ubuntu, it is very unlikely that Tomcat would run as "root" (at least if you have used the standard package manager apt-get etc..)
So really look at each of the directory components in turn, and check their
permissions.