Based on Mark Thomas' recommendation in another thread, I've upgraded to tomcat
7.0.11 and the issues I was seeing seem to be fixed.

This seems to be the relevant changelog entry:
"Fix issues that prevented asynchronous servlets from working when used with
the HTTP APR connector on platforms that support TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT. (markt)"

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

- Chris