To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: How to detect down of tomcat.

Put this in a cronjob to fire every minute

#!/bin/sh
if [ `ps -ef|grep tomcat|grep -v grep|wc -l` -lt 1 ]
 then
 subject=`tomcat down; date`
 address="m...@domain.com"
 ps -ef>att.txt
 mail -s "$subject" "$addr" -- -fno-reply@yourdomain< att.txt
fi

Fill in the address with your email address, and you can also pipe an attachment

For myself, I have scripts that detects when the service is down, sends me an email, then tries to restart it, then will email if it has managed to recover it. If it can't restart it after 5 minutes, then I get an SMS.
In the morning, I can quickly see if it failed overnight, and my beauty rest
only gets disturbed in the really bad cases.