And to this....is it absolutely necessary to use the SYS_REFCURSOR in Oracle? I
use several packages and procesures and never use this! Granted, I may have
many less records than you in your DB table, but I was just wondering. Perhaps
it is.

> BTW, my application calls a stored procedure which in turn uses an
> oracle SYS_REFCURSOR. As I know ref cursor can not be closed through code.

How are you supposed to close that cursor, then? Did you mean you can't close
it through Java code, or you can't even close it through PL/SQL?

> Once the error is encountered the application is not recovering until
> the application is restarted.

Sounds like closing the connection and re-initializing it would probably do the
job, too. Is it possible for you to detect the kinds of requests that will
allocate these SYS_REFCURSORs and use a one-time connection instead of going
through the pool?