On 22 March 2011 08:32, Goyo <goyocas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Inside "origin" there're about ten subdirs like "target". Some of them are
> symlinked to the new filesystem. The rest, must remain in their path so:
> - AFAIK, we can't mount the new drive to origin/target because target is
> not
> the only subdir we are symlinking (it is we should make more than one
> mount,
> one for every subdir we need to link.
> - We neither can make the symlink (or the mount) to the entire "origin"
> dir,
> because the client demands that only certain subdirs should be moved to the
> new drive.
>
> It seems there's no an easy way...
>
> Then you're screwed and so's the client.  Here are the conditions:

   1. You are not allowed to change or rewrite the C source code;
   2. The C source code uses rename(2) to move the file (it's worth checking
   this assumption);
   3. Rename(2) will not allow a file to be moved across filesystems;
   4. You are not allowed to configure partitions in such a way that all the
   files to be moved remain within the same filesystem after the move.

To solve the problem, you or the client will have to relax one of these
conditions.  The alternative is that the system keeps failing!

If we're correct about the technical restrictions in 1, 2 and 3, then your
(and the client's) only possibility to get a working system is to relax 4.

- Peter