2011/4/29 André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com>:
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5
> Server built:   Oct 15 2008 12:57:44
> Server number:  5.5.26.0
>
> Intuitively, I would expect that after some time, the number of live threads
> would be decreasing back to the minSpareThreads value, but that does not
> seem to be happening.
> The number of threads stays at the same level of about 100, apparently
> forever (at least several hours by now).
> Is this normal ?

In short: you have to define an Executor -- only it has the ability to
decrease the number of working threads over time.  - That is true for
Tomcat 6 and later.

(You are using Tomcat 5.5 and I just do not remember how it goes
there. IIRC, thread pool in TC 6 was simplified wrt. to 5.5 one).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko