----- Original Message -----

Yep. I think if you have critical requirements (technical, security, business)
that aren't being met by your distribution's package release you have to roll
your own. Manage it just like any other software release.

The issues are then mostly management (culpability and support). How those
issues are dealt with becomes a matter of business culture.

I've been successful in the past in getting permission to build critical
components locally. I've also been in environments where this was strictly
forbidden, even at the expense of not meeting business requirements and/or
exposing the infrastructure to known security risks. Meeting requirements is
preferred (in my book).

It also appears that more and more admins are uncomfortable with building,
installing, and then managing systems with locally installed software. This
goes back to the challenge that the original poster had. Why an admin would
balk at learning how to do this is another question . . .

Friday night ramblings are worth less than two cents . . . ;-)

/mde/