Dark Before Dawn wrote:
Hi guys,
I am reading this list for a few weeks now. And I wonder where the differences between different Tomcat versions ie 5.X , 6.X and 7.X are. Since versions for Tomcat 5 and 6 are still released from time to time. Are these maintenance releases only or for some linux distributions?

You know, it's pretty much the same as for Windows versions, XP, Vista, Windows 7 and stuff. The marketing guys keep pushing for some new bells and whistles, and the developers do their best to make it happen. Otherwise customers get bored, and they may start looking at Jboss or so. There is also these Java Servlet Specs guys who keep adding new things, so one's got to keep attention and change a few things left and right. And then there are these hackers who got nothing better to do with their time than finding overflowing buffers and such, so you need to keep that under control too.
It just never ends.