On 22/07/2011 20:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 22/07/2011 17:26, Ian Marsh wrote:

>> It seems that the character arrays [C, java.lang.String and
>> javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagAttributeInfo entries are considerably
>> higher in Tomcat-7.0.10 than in Tomcat-7.0.8 and I am wondering if
>> this could lead to an explanation for the difference.
>
> Maybe. What you really want to look at is the GC roots for those
> objects. That will tell you what is holding on to the references. Based
> on that data I'd start looking at the arrays of TagAttributeInfo but
> that might be completely the wrong place to look.
>
> I've just triggered a heap dump on the ASF Jira instance (running
> 7.0.19) to see what that looks like. I'll report back what I find (once
> the 4GB heap has finished downloading - it may be some time).

The Jira heap dump looks pretty much as I'd expect it to look so
whatever is going wrong is probably related to the application.

In Yourkit, view the class list, order it by retained size. That should
point you in the right direction. Filtering the classes for just those
that start with "org.apache" or "org.apache.jasper" may shed some light
as will looking at what objects are being retained by each class.

>> Would anyone know of any changes between the two versions, possibly
>> linked to those memory entries, that could lead to such behaviour?
>
> Nothing jumped out at me from the changelog.

Looking again at the list of classes, my guess is something related to
JSPs (due to the presence of javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagAttributeInfo
and org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$TemplateText). Is it possible you
have development mode enabled for 7.0.10 but disabled for 7.0.8?

This is getting to the point where I'd really need access to the heap
dump to provide any more specific information.

Mark