> > Thanks for that hint.
> > http://drifted.in/encoding/encoding.svg returns HTTP Content-type
> > image/svg+xml (according to Firebug)
> > but http://drifted.in/encoding/faces/encoding.svg returns
> > image/svg+xml;charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > In Tomcat 6 powered web I am getting just 'image/svg+xml' in both
> cases.

> 1) What encoding is specified in <?xml> header in the svg file?

UTF-8

> 2) I suspect that you are using getWriter() to write the file
> somewhere.  That will add encoding to the content type if you are
> running Tomcat 7,

I suspect Mojarra from that or Faces Servlet respectively. They process all
the requests with that 'faces' URL fragment.

> and IIRC  you wil also observe this if you are running Tomcat 6 with
> *.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE system property set to "true".

You are right! So it explains the 6 vs. 7 difference !

> > I am just thinking where to specify that encoding for
> > standalone SVG files. In web.xml?
>
> It can be done in mime type mapping in web.xml

I've tried to change the svg mime spec to
    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>svg</extension>
        <mime-type>image/svg+xml;charset=UTF-8</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

and voila, it works! (not uploaded to the server yet)

So it is not definitely a Tomcat issue.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Jan