You are right about the encoding of the .java file in Eclipse. I tried in 'vi' and sure enough the codes are in there correctly. Interesting that Eclipse opened the .jsp file and showed it nicely, but the .java file was not. I couldn't do the properties, though, since these files are not part of my project, but I was able to drag them into Eclipse.

Anyway, I was still having the problem, but noted that my URL actually runs a servlet that does a RequestDispatcher.include() of my generated JSP page, so even though the JSP says everything was UTF-8 in the @page directive, apparently the response was already set to the default charset in the servlet itself. So I added response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8"); to the top of my servlet's doGet/doPost and that seems to have resolved it.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas!

David