From: Tobias Crefeld [mailto:t...@cataneo.eu]
Sent: 09 September 2011 11:11
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5.27 - Solaris 10 - Tomcat process starts additional
copies of itself with only 1 thread and no CPU

Am Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:54:36 +0100
schrieb "Dave Stubbs" <d...@stubbs.uk.com>:

> When we list the system tasks we see that the ghost process PPID is
> the same as the PID of the still running main tomcat instance. Here is
> list of what happened when it wasn't picked up for a while.

Obviously the "parent"-JVM itself starts the other JVMs, so it must be an
application issue.
Do the "child-JVMs" stop when 21115 shuts down?
Do the child-JVMs terminate on "normal" signals like -SIGTERM?

I would try to log the exact time, when these additional JVM are being
started and compare these with things that were happening on the
"parent"-Tomcat - maybe you find a application dependency that way.

Just an idea: Maybe the parent-JVM gets a signal to restart itself that
isn't handled correct?
(
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/realtime/v1r0/topic/com.ibm.rt.doc.
10/user/signals.html
- sorry, but haven't found a source for Sun-JDK instantly)

Regards,
 Tobias.