> From: Dola Woolfe [mailto:dolac...@yahoo.com] Subject: Users and
> authentication - how?

> Surely, there exists a relatively generic approach to this that
> includes a backend database, new user form and authentication
> rules! But I can't find. Can someone direct me as to where to
> start my research?

First, read the servlet spec section concerning authentication.

Second, read Tomcat's doc about selecting and configuring a <Realm> for the
particular authentication mechanism you want to use.  You didn't bother to tell
us the version of Tomcat you have, but here's the link for the current one:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/realm-howto.html

You also might want to look at the How To part of the Tomcat Wiki; there are a
few entries in there related to authentication.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.