On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:45, Eric Bouer <ericbo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list.
> I'm using tomcat for a J2EE application that uses Spring/Hibernate/JSF.
> The spring container and hibernate bootstrap are slow and the users get a
> blank page or no response from tomcat while the application starts.
> In order to avoid that I was thinking about some static page that can be
> served by a different thread but the problem is that there are muiltiple
> wars and I wish to have a simple solution.
>
> I'd like to know if Tomcat already provides a solution for this problem or
> if it is a planned feature request (couldn't find any)
> Or is there another way to solve this issue?
> Thanks.

With Tomcat alone, no idea. I do that with Apache in front of Tomcat,
but this requires that Tomcat be set up in a particular way.

Here is what happens here when a webapp is started:

* Apache is configured to display a static page for the corresponding
server name and path;
* I use Tomcat's manager webapp to deploy the new context;
* on success, Apache is reconfigured to forward requests and its
configuration reloaded.

For this, Tomcat is started with only the manager webapp, and only in
text mode from localhost. Contexts are then deployed and undeployed on
demand. One problem with Tomcat is that the bundled startup scripts
will return _before_ Tomcat is fully bootstrapped, which is why I have
to use my own. This has been discussed at length a few months ago, and
is why I have my current setup. It is the only way for me to have the
behavior I seek.

--
Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM