Christopher,

Christopher Schultz schrieb:

Mike,

On 9/21/2011 3:52 AM, 1983-01...@gmx.net wrote:
I have removed the MemoryRealm from my server.xml in Tomcat 6.0.33 and noticed that the StandardEngine creates a JAASRealm [1]: 21.09.2011 09:14:58 org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm
setContainer INFO: Set JAAS app name Catalina

What is the reasoning behind this?

Maybe it's easier and safer to have a dummy Realm than no realm at all.

I don't consider the JAASRealm as a dummy realm. Maybe a NonRealm like NonAuthenticator would make sense.

I assume that any app will fail because I have never configured the
JAAS config file.

If you never use authentication, I suspect you won't fail.

Have you actually tried it?

No, I did not yet but will do tomorrow and will report back. I guess it will when an app needs authentication because at least the loginConf "Catalina" won't be found.

Mike