2011/10/5 jjgtx <jeff_g...@yahoo.com>:

> I am trying to configure log4j logging, but when I remove the
> conf/logging.properties file I get the following error in catalina.out and
> nothing more.
>
> Could not find the main class: .  Program will exit.
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
>        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

1. 6.0.18 is old. Why don't you upgrade to a more recent version.

Also, have you read the docs?

2. Just removing the logging.properties file should not have caused this error.

It is likely that you broke something else as well.

There were many fixes to startup scripts since 6.0.18 as well.

3. You can reconfigure the file to log everything to Console, but the
file itself is needed.

You can reconfigure Tomcat logging to use log4j, but you cannot turn
off  java.util.logging API of Java entirely.

Bootstrap classes use it.
Some web applications can use it as well.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko