On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 11:38 +0000, Pid wrote:
> On 15/11/2011 08:01, Mario Splivalo wrote:
> > Can I have several Tomcat contexts on different ports?
> >
> > I need to have manager app listening only on 8080, and all the other
> > apps on 80. Is something like that possible, within one Tomcat Service?
>
> You can have more than one Connector.
> You can't assign individual apps to specific Connectors.
>
> > Or, if I fire up two services (under same server), each with its own set
> > of connectors, is manager app from one service able to manage apps in
> > another?
>
> The Manager application can only manage applications in the same Host.
> Unfortunately, separate Services will have separate Hosts.

Perhaps an alternative that may work "good enough" would be to bind 8080
to localhost and 80 to a "public" IP address.  Or, similarly, if the
machined is multi-homed bind each port to different addresses.
Presumably, you'd want the 8080 address to be on an address that doesn't
have a route to the Internet.

See 'address' on /docs/config/http.html .

All the apps will still be available on both ports but if you're
concerned about the public accessing 'manager' then putting it on an
address they can't reach would give you some measure of isolation.

Of course, this also means *you* can't reach 'manager' from "outside"
either -- unless you tunnel in via ssh or something.