Pid,

On 11/16/11 8:47 AM, Pid * wrote:
> Tomcat 6.0.32, HTTPD (worker mpm) 2.2.19, mod_jk 1.2.31.
>
> If ThreadsPerChild is 60 and ServerLimit is 10, MaxClients is 600,
> how many connections, at peak, will be made to 20 Tomcat
> instances?

- From httpd docs:

MaxClients: For threaded and hybrid servers (e.g. beos or worker)
MaxClients restricts the total number of threads that will be
available to serve clients. The default value for beos is 50. For
hybrid MPMs the default value is 16 (ServerLimit) multiplied by the
value of 25 (ThreadsPerChild). Therefore, to increase MaxClients to a
value that requires more than 16 processes, you must also raise
ServerLimit.

ServerLimit: With worker use this directive only if your MaxClients
and ThreadsPerChild settings require more than 16 server processes
(default). Do not set the value of this directive any higher than the
number of server processes required by what you may want for
MaxClients and ThreadsPerChild.

So if MaxClients is 600 and ThreadsPerChild is 60 then you can't have
more than 10 processes each with 60 threads. If you want more than 16
server processes (which it looks like you don't need), then you'll
need to set ServerLimit to something higher than it's default for
worker which appears to be 16.

I'm not sure you need ServerLimit at all.

If you have 20 TCs on the back end, then mod_jk will have to open 20 *
600 = 12000 connections at peak, if my math is correct. That's only
600 connections per TC, or course, but you may have trouble with
creating that many connections from the proxy.

If you have more than one worker, then the number of Tomcat instances
is essentially multiplied. So, if you have 20 TC backends each with 2
workers assigned to them, then you'll 24000 connections instead.

> Will this change If Tomcat instances start failing?

Probably not -- mod_jk will just retire the connection and create a
new one. If you are having load problems, you might make things worse
with all this connection churn.