Jan Vávra wrote:
Hello,
 thanks for a long response.
As I see everybody are againts my proposal. Ok.

Yes, some kind of restarting can be done via some scripts. In the best in a cluster environment... Personally I don't trust /etc/init.d/tomcat scripts that comes in wg. SLES linux.
Sometimes this script didn't properly restart tomcat.
It could be due to a some untermintated thread, who knows...

I must look more closely into doc - how tomcat is starting and shutdowning if I'd like to do some tomcat recycling by own or modified scripts.

One additional comment :
Applications which run under Tomcat are Java applications. Some of these applications may need a significant time to initialise themselves and be ready to answer requests. If you "recycle" Tomcat (by which I understand that you mean "totally stop and restart the JVM which runs Tomcat"), there may be a considerable period of time (maybe several minutes) during which the server is totally unresponsive to client requests.
I don't know if that would be a good idea.

(This is not a negative comment on Java or Tomcat. It is just that the philosophy is different. Once the applications are initialised, they will perform just as fast, or faster, than applications written in other languages or running on other servers).

This being said, I generally agree with the other answers you received : it is generally a bad idea the "plaster over" bugs in applications by doing something like that, because it gives you a false impression of having resolved the issue, but you never know when the underlying problem is going to hit you again.