On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 09:37, Casper Wandahl Schmidt
<kalle.pri...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> Another question to ask is, why do you have 8GB memory when running 32bit?
> That is just stupid since 32bit cannot address more than 4GB of memory no
> matter what you do. Any sysadmin should know that right?
>
> disclaimer: I'm not a sysadmin, if I'm wrong please teach me :)

With PAE[1] you actually can address up to 2^36 RAM (therefore 64 GB).
But not all OSes support that, and anyway the addressable memory at
one time (and therefore max memory theoretically accessible to one
process at any given moment) is still 2^32.

[1] Physical Address Extension

--
Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM