I should have noted that this is with Tomcat 7.0.23, but it seemed unlikely to be JVM (Java 6 Update 29) or OS (Windows 7) specific.

Of course given that I found that the documentation clearly states this behavior, I suspect this is longstanding Tomcat behavior.

My remaining question is /why/ Tomcat behaves this way. If one quickly restarts Tomcat for some reason and session data is preserved, you really don't want all the users to have to login again do you?

--
Jess Holle