On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 08/12/2011 14:19, Robert Winch wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:
> >> You say below that the compiled tags & JSP don't appear to have been
> >> recompiled - either upgrade, or clear the work directory to ensure that
> >> they have been.
> >>

> > I'm not sure I understand. Is there a reason we would want them to be
> > recompiled? The reason I had mentioned this was not because I thought it
> > was a problem but because I thought it helped rule out a problem with how
> > the jsp's were compiled. I'm not certain if my logic is sound, but I
> > thought since it was not working, later did work, and the time stamp had
> > not been updated there was likely something other than the compilation of
> > the jsp's at fault.
>
> Very occasionally between minor versions we make changes to the code
> that converts JSPs to Java and correct operation *requires* that the
> JSPs are recompiled. We don't do it very often but it does happen. We
> try and do things in such a way that Tomcat handles this automatically
> e.g. look in the changelog for bug 33453. That said, I *always* clean
> out the work directory when doing any Tomcat upgrade.
>
> Mark

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if this was related to my issue or if
it was advice for when we update Tomcat. Since we have not made any updates
to Tomcat I do not think this is related to this issue. However, this is
definitely good information to have for when we do the upgrade. Thanks
again.