Thanks to all for the explanation.

I have a new question regarding the admin role.

With default setup, if I login as admin, I can start,stop, undeploy and
deploy the application. Now, because the admin password has been shared by
team, and I can't not share it with team.

So I plan to disable undeploy and deploy function from the web admin URL
for the admin account. If anyone need deploy new version, they have to
login the Unix box to do it manually. With that I can trace and have
records easily.

So I edit the file webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml, and remove all the xml
sessions for remove, install, undeploy, deploy and save. But after I
restart the tomcat server, *I still can deploy and undeploy*.

Something I missed?

part of tomcat-users.xml

  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <role rolename="monitoring"/>
  <user username="admin" password="XXX" roles="admin,manager"/>
  <user username="monitoring" password="XXX" roles="monitoring"/>

Below are the lines I remove from the web.xml file.

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Manager</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/install</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>