On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 02:52:23PM -0000, Martin O'Shea wrote:
> Thanks for this Chuck. I realise now what is happening. I thought the
> PermGen space was used in the heap when now I see it as just storing class
> definitions. So I could reduce it below 128Mb if I choose. Is there a
> default value?

There are defaults for all of the settings, in Java not Tomcat.

But defaults are irrelevant in production.  Tuning is always with
respect to your workload, not someone else's averages.  You need to
give more resources to your application until it starts and runs under
modest load, then monitor its resource utilization and make further
adjustments to give it enough headroom for unexpected load spikes
without wasting resources which will never be used.  Then monitor
periodically to be sure you haven't missed anything.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.