Well, I don't know about this , but

What is the "URLRewrite" filter ? A Servlet filter ?

You can try to write a Valve and test if it works. I think it's
processed before calling container code. Maybe ...
Or to configure a proxy web to rewrite . I did't make this before, but
I know it's possible. If I find some info about this, I send it to you

Bye