On 12/22/2011 2:45 PM, Pid wrote:
On 22/12/2011 01:27, r.sriram wrote:
you sound quite obnoxious and you don't seem to have any valid answers
other than insulting others.
Oh no, you're quite mistaken, if I was being obnoxious I would be using
a different tone entirely.  I would probably make some offhand comments
about limited ability and so forth, but I'm not being obnoxious, I'm
trying to help you.
great. it is obvious isn't it that I have limited ability in this area; I wouldn't be the one asking the questions if I were the expert would I?
I need my virtual host to work.
Plainly.
and it now works, once I put one small change with the last e-mail Mark sent. I have configured for localhost foo and it works as expected; didn't have a need for anything other than what was there in Mark's guide. thanks Mark.
I need to configure Tomcat to make it work.
Yes, get to the point.
And here is the point: However, when I configure exactly the same way as foo for a domain name www.x.com for example, it doesn't work. And here is the situation:

   I am using hosted environment with Go Daddy with Plesk 10. This
   environment has created C:\inetpub\vhosts\x.com\httpdocs where
   index.html resides. When I access www.x.com from an outside
   computer, I am expecting it to go to
   C:\Apache\hosts\x.com-host\webapps\ROOT, reach web.xml in WEB-INF
   (and not web-inf) and reach the appropriate servlet for processing.
   But it doesn't, it picks up index.html! Question 1: is there any
   other configuration I need to do. what specifically is it and what I
   need to do there (yes I have limited knowledge and I cannot get any
more explicit than this).
Mark provided specific steps and I followed it, but it didn't
work.
You need to do more than blindly copy instructions without understanding
them.
wrong!

I need specifically why it didn't work.
Because a) you follow the instructions incorrectly and b) you completely
ignored the simple explanation and hints I was giving you.
not important so I will let this pass.

do you have any suggestions, or you can let others answer.
Re-read the emails I sent in this thread.  One at a time.
When you've done what I suggested come back and let us know.

I did, quite thoroughly and I am none the wiser.
and bottom-posting annoys me.
This comment is childish.  The reason that most of us don't like to see
top-posting is that this is a public mailing list and anyone could be
reading the conversation at some point in the future to learn from
someone else's experience.

If the conversation flow jumps up&  down the page, it makes it much,
much harder to follow.

As you are not paying for the expert help you're getting here, you might
consider that the price is doing things our way.
got it. I felt the same way about your top-posting comment. I now know the reason for that comment and definitely makes sense and will follow it rigorously, for sure. I have used this forum for 10+years but infrequently and so have not picked up the unwritten etiquette. and quite correct about the expert advice I am getting in this forum and the need to follow the etiquette. looking forward to getting the expert advice that will get me up and running.... thanks.....rs