On 27 Dec 2011, at 13:19, Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/12/27 Edwards, Dominic <dominic.edwa...@logica.com>:
>>

>> Platform Details:
>> -----------------
>> Tomcat 5.5.28
>
> Old..
> And 5.5.x branch as a whole is EOL in less than a year.
>
>> Operating System: RedHat Enterprise 5
>>

>> Problem
>> -------
>>
>> Tomcat appears to be mismanaging my web contexts after a restart. It happens
>> only sometimes and not others.
>>
>> I have the following context records in my server.xml:
>>
>> <Host name="mysite.com" appBase="/home/myaccount/public_html/mysite.com"

This appBase path, above...

>> unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false"
>> xmlNamespaceAware="false"
>>
>> deployOnStartup="true">
>>         <Alias>www.mysite.com</Alias>
>>
>>         <Context path="" reloadable="true"
>> docBase="/home/myaccount/public_html/mysite.com" crossContext="true">

... is the same as the docBase path, above and...

> <Context> elements in server.xml are explicitly discouraged. The
> recommended practice is to place them into separate XML files.
>
>>         <context-param>
>>                  <param-name>SharedSessiondataContext</param-name>
>>                  <param-value>"/cms"</param-value>
>>                </context-param>
>>                </Context>
>>
>>         <Context path="/cms" reloadable="true"
>> docBase="/home/myaccount/public_html/mysite.com" crossContext="true">

... Is the same as this docBase path here too.

Is this exactly as you have it, or is it a typo?

If it is accurate it is a thoroughly broken configuration and will
mean that every directory in there is deployed as an application.