On 31/12/2011 16:35, Matthew Tyson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM, <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Tyson <matthewcarlty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That's right, there is an f5 load balancer.  The valve is used to keep
>>> track of whether the request was via HTTPS or not.
>>
>> What happens if you go direct to Tomcat and bypass the F5?
>>
>>> tcpdump seems to confirm the same.  What are you thinking?
>>
>> Probably, like me, that the F5 isn't handling the Comet requests correctly.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> I am trying to understand how the load balancer could cause Tomcat to
> respond with an empty 200 response to a request, without ever executing the
> service method on the servlet mapped to the url.

I've seen all sorts of odd behaviors when something is expecting HTTP
but doesn't get it.

> The inbound request to tomcat is correct, and it is sometimes
> handled correctly.   However, much of the time it is sending the empty 200.

Given that there appears to be multiple issues here, I'd suggest
concentrating on the one that is likely easiest to debug. Fix that and
then see what the other problems then look like. We might be seeing two
sides of the same issue.

My recommendation is:
- if possible, test without the F5 just to be sure this is purely a
Tomcat issue
- investigate the repeated calls to service() with no incoming request
as that is likely to be easier to debug. As per my previous suggestion,
get Tomcat into this state and then use remote debugging to see what is
calling NioEndpoint.processSocket()

Mark