On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 09:35 -0800, James Lampert wrote:
> Tim Watts wrote:
> > That's a possibility if it's padding the passwords as well.   I'm not an
> > AS/400 expert by any means.  Is /foo a preallocated file and if so could
> > the problem be with the way it was allocated?
>
> The Java-400 list over at Midrange.com is also in on this (albeit not
> this specific message).
>
> I tried putting the password, and some of the values, in single quotes,
> and others in double quotes. No change in behavior: the confirmation
> message fields were padded, and the quote marks were shown in them.
>
> Hmm. THIS is INTERESTING!
>
> If I FTP a keystore created on my WinDoze box onto the 400, then KEYTOOL
> there can read it. FASCINATING.

Ha!  Presumably you FTP-ed in binary mode?  Maybe that solves your
original problem too.

I know the big mainframe OSes can run Unix VMs which is what the bank
where I used to work ran all their Java servers in.  Perhaps AS/400 has
something similar and would make your app easier to manage.  Hope
there's an AS/400 expert lurking on the list; I don't think I can offer
much further help.

If you do work it out on midrange.com maybe you could post your solution
here too for others to learn from.

Good Luck.