From: gnath [mailto:gautam_exquis...@yahoo.com]
Sent: 22 January 2012 08:01
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 6.0.35-SocketException: Too many open files issue with

Hello,

We have been seeing "SocketException: Too many open files" in production
environment(Linux OS running Tomcat 6.0.35 with sun's JDK 1.6.30) every day and
requires a restart of Tomcat. When this happened for the first time, we
searched online and found people suggesting to increase the file descriptors
size and we increased to 4096. But still the problem persists.  We have the
Orion App Server also running on the same machine but usually during the day
when we check the open file descriptor by command: ls -l /proc/PID/fd, its
always less than 1000 combined  for both Orion and Tomcat.

Here is the exception we see pouring in the logs once it starts: This requires
us to kill java process and restart tomcat. Our Tomcat configuration
maxThreadCount is 500 with minSpareThreads=50 in server.xml

SEVERE: Socket accept failed
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:408)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:462)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:430)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.acceptSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:61)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:352)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

ulimit -a gives for the user where Tomcat is running.

open files                      (-n) 4096

Please let me know what could be the issue here and how can i resolve this 'Too
many open files' issue.

Thanks
-G

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take
any action in reliance on its contents:

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff
in England and Scotland
NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information
with NHSmail and GSi recipients
NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be
accessed anywhere
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit
www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail