2012/1/25 Josh Gooding <josh.good...@gmail.com>:
> Hey group,

1. Have you seen the following page?

http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

> I've been tasked here at work to upgrade Tomcat from 5.5 to 6.0 since I'm
> the Tomcat guru here.  Does anyone know, if I take the 5.5 configuration
> (server and context.xml) and drop them into 6.0, will the 6.0 server start
> or are there things that have to be changed over?

2. A bad idea.

The recommended way is to start from default configuration and port
necessary changes from older version (reading the docs in the
process).

>  Also were there any
> ConnectionPool changes between v6 and 7?  IIRC there were some changes but
> darned if I can remember the specifics.

3. ConnectionPool comes from Apache Commons Pool + Apache Commons DBCP projects.

Tomcat 7 comes with two pool implementation. One is DBCP one (default).

Another is newer one, "Tomcat JDBC pool". Its documentation is
included into Tomcat User's guide.

If you are satisfied with the old one, there is no need to change.

Anyway each connection pool instance can be configured to use
different pool implementation independently. (Or a 3rd party pool
implementation).

>  Is there a place that I can go to
> look through the changes?  I implemented TC6 with 7's connection pool a few
> years back, and I cannot remember the reason why or if there were
> improvements.Any information would be greatly appreciated!
>
> - Josh

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko