[snip]

> > 1) IIS reports 200 connection starting up just about instantly
>
> IIS reports or the redirector reports? Connections from client to IIS or from
> IIS to
> JBoss?

Performance monitor on W shows 200 Conncetion to IIS, netstat shows number of
connections to JBOss

[snip]

> > But on the jboss node, counting the 8009 connections it takes a very long
> > time
> for the connections to start up 2-3 every 3-4 seconds.
>
> Even the first ones, or in addition to the fast 200 ones?
Right from the beginning. I had a window open to Jboss and a rdp to windows. I
say windows performance monitor spike to 200
And I could slowly count out the connections increasing on jboss server
(netstat -tn | grep 8009 | wc -l)

> Note that the ISAPI redirector only starts a new backend connection if it
> needs
> one. There is no 1:1 relation between frontend and backend connections.
> Whenever a request arrives on a frontend connection, the redirector puts it on
> an available backend connection. If all of them are busy (waiting for
> it creates a new backend connection until the pool limit is reached (which is
> 2000 in your case).
>
> If opening a new connection is slow I'd expect there to be a network or
> backend
> problem. You could trace using wireshark and see, what actually takes time
> (whether it is waiting for packets from the backend, or connections break or
> whatever).
True

> > Now it might be that I had logging on in debug mode .... I did try in info
> > mode
> and seemed to be just as bad.
>
> Debug log is only useful to debug. It kills performance.
>
> > This is my connector config....
> >
> > # Global Vars
> >
> > worker.maintain=60
> > worker.list=jbclb
> >
> > # JBoss cluser
> >
> > worker.jbclb.type=lb
> >
> > worker.jbclb.balance_workers=worker1, worker2
> > worker.jbclb.sticky_session=true worker.jbclb.method=Request
> >
> > # Template for all worker threads
> > worker.template.type=ajp13
> > worker.template.port=8009
> > worker.template.ping_mode=A
> > worker.template.ping_timeout=30000
> > worker.template.connection_pool_size=2000
> > worker.template.connection_pool_minsize=100
> > worker.template.socket_keepalive=true
> >
> > worker.list=worker1
> >
> > # worker 1
> >
> > worker.worker1.host=10.32.25.251
> > worker.worker1.route=node1
> > worker.worker1.reference=worker.template
> >
> > worker.list=worker2
> >
> > # worker 1
> >
> > worker.worker2.route=node2
> > worker.worker2.host=10.32.25.252
> > worker.worker2.reference=worker.template
> >
> > ISAPA config file
> >
> > # Configuration file for the Jakarta ISAPI Redirector # The path to
> > the ISAPI Redirector Extension, relative to the website # This must be
> > in a virtual directory with execute privileges
> > extension_uri=/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll
> > # Full path to the log file for the ISAPI Redirector
> > log_file=C:\YB\Local\dev.com\Logs\ajpconfisapi_redirect.log
> > # Log level (debug, info, warn, error or trace) #log_level=info
> > log_level=warn #log_level=debug log_filesize=20M
> > #log_rotationtime=86400
> > # Full path to the workers.properties file
> > worker_file=C:\YB\Shared\dev.com\ajpconfig\workers.properties
> > # Full path to the uriworkermap.properties file
> > worker_mount_file=C:\YB\Shared\dev.com\ajpconfig\uriworkermap.properti
> > es
> > # Rewrite
> > rewrite_rule_file=C:\YB\Shared\dev.com\ajpconfig\\rewrite.properties
> > #uri_select=proxy
> >
> > The performance so far of the connector seems to be rather bad, I am
> presuming it something I have setup, cause 200 connections shouldn't be that
> hard to handle.
>
> What do you mean by "bad performance":
>
> - response time without load
> - response times under load
> - maximum throughput in requests per second
> - something else?

I was commenting on the tomcat connector.

My logic is I see IIS handling the 200 connections, I know jboss can handle
upto 1000 in this config (we pointed out client directly to jboss)
It's the connector taking soo long to open up the ports to jboss. I would have
expected to see 200 open up very fast

> Usually performance problems more often come from the web apps. You could
> take a thread dump of JBoss while inducing load, to see what's happening
> there.
> Of course if the same performance measurement shows no problem using direct
> access, then we are back talking about the redirector.
>
> > I am going to turn logging down to warn and see what happens.
>
> ... did info logging reveal anything interesting?

Not that I could tell :) rather large file.

I do see info unable to send ping pong... but its marked up as a info